I do product management and design from a multidisciplinary perspective -- layered with the power of data! Below is a list of recent projects and experiences that lie on the the more interesting parts of the spectrum. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to chat more!
Resume: Google Docs
Code for America/San Francisco Fire Risk Project
An address-searchable interactive map that displays fire incidents and risk-factors in the San Francisco area. Uses SF OpenData's API to keep the information up to date. The project is hosted by Code for America and Code for San Francisco.
Historical Salary Requirements for Home Ownership in the United States
A historical look at salary requirements for home ownership in the United States in major metro areas. A project done for Data4America, a non-partisan political non-profit group that attempts to bring data science and data-driven approaches to issues related to politics and government.
Connecting Game Developers to Let's Players and Streamers (Case Study for Twitch)
As both a streamer and developer, I often find that there's often misunderstandings and miscommunications between let's players, live streamers, and game developers in the gaming ecosystem. What can be done to bridge this gap?
Time Segmentation Tools for Content Analysis and Promotion
Given the abundance of content on the internet, the time of day that you choose to publish, promote, or distribute your content is increasingly becoming an important decision for content-makers and distributors to know. What are the best practices surrounding this approach?
Building Democratic Social Systems on the Internet
One of my more ambitious projects -- an attempt to normalize the act of holding elections on the internet itself. Democracy is basically administrative privileges, segmented by time. An argument in favor of using voting systems in order to increase user engagement for the long-term.
The Future of Live Video
As people's trust in media sources wane, the unscripted "live" experience will become that much more important in order for people and companies to maintain their sense of authenticity. A closer look into the strategies and specifics of each platform.
Mobile Games: Time is Money
When people jump the shark and actually pay for free-to-play games, what exactly are they paying for?
The Arts and Blockchain Technology (Bitcoin, Ethereum)
How blockchain technology could potentially revolutionize the way content is made and distributed over the internet.
|Product, Artificial Intelligence and Automation @ Shop.co (2017-)|
- Efficiency and operational optimizations to Shop.co's AI and supported processes.
|Product Manager, Data Engineer at YourSports (2014-2016)|
- Reduced data migration time by 90% by transitioning the company from an Excel to cloud-based internal processing tool. The tool allowed executives and volunteers to participate directly in the data import process, allowing for the process itself to scale.
- Saved the company $x+ by substituting open-source versions of data and data APIs for paid licensed APIs.
- Improved CEO's ability to manage developers by creating executive level documentation for data projects.
- Recruited, managed, and trained data engineers, interns, and contractors towards ongoing data-acquisition and verification projects. (4-5 engineers and 1-2 interns per team) - Scrum/Agile management implementation and certification.
- Project lead for YourSports' Google Fusion project -- integration of 25000+ college-level sports players' hometown/birthplace with Google Maps' API.
- Collected 10 million+ data entities using Casper.js library. Script pulled data from Freebase, WikiData, Wikipedia, and various other public sources online.
- Reduced turnaround time by 30% by creating ETL guidelines for engineers and data-entry workers. (Excel to ElasticSearch conversion.)
- Project lead in the "YourSports X" project: All things related to non-sports data. (Music, politics, military, celebrities.)
- Worked and managed 4-5 developers and data engineers per project.
- Created comprehensive map of U.S. military social and professional organizations from battalion level upwards. Includes naval ship organizations and Air Force squadrons by branch and service dates.
|City of Santa Monica, Web Development Team|
|Web Developer/Designer, Content Editor|
|University of Southern California: Digital Imaging Lab|
|Digitization Technician and Archivist|
|UCLA: Southern Regional Library Facility|
|Digitization and Project Coordinator|
- Project lead for UCLA's mass-digitization pilot project, the 'Stokes Machine'. Possible to scan 400+ ultra high quality, archive-ready images per day. Worked with lead developer of the machine to debug and increase efficiency of its output over 6 months.
UCLA/OCA Project Coordinator
- Coordinated efforts between UCLA and the Internet Archives for their digitization projects. Avg. output: 1500 books/week.
Product School: San Francisco
Product Management Certification, 2016
University of Southern California
Musicology, PhD Candidate
California Institute of the Arts
Music Composition-Performance, MFA
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Music Composition-Theory, BA
Engineering Major Prior to Music
HTML, CSS, WordPress
XML, ASP.NET, PHP
MySQL, SQL, Python/R, Mixpanel, Salesforce
Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Audition, Premiere, Video Workshop, etc.)
MadCap Flare, Adobe Framemaker
Audio Engineering (Audition, Audacity, ProTools)
Sharepoint, Microsoft Office, Excel, Powerpoint
Prototype/Experimental Product Testing
Search Engine Optimization
Social Media Promotion/Interaction
Research (Academic, Technical, Journalism)
Public Speaking and Presentations
Librarianship and Information Systems
Bilingual Japanese/English: Reading, Writing, Spoken
Lean and Agile Software Development